Sunday, June 18, 2006

Calling All Wingnuts

During my lunch I like to listen to talk radio on the AM station WHMP, as I've probably said a hundred times by now. I can't stand the Thom Hartmann Show - I loath his message (labor this, labor that) and I loath him, he has a face for radio and the voice of a writer. Sometimes he covers for Randi Rhodes and he ruins her show, too. One day, I hope he'll be off and she can sit in for him but I know that won't happen; costume jewerly substitues for diamonds, not the other way around. [ Side note: WHMP has seemingly dropped most/all of Westwood One's syndicated programs and seems to be solely an Air America station. That means I've lost Bill O'Reilly, Lars Larson and one or two other shows I liked to listen to. In place of Bill O'Rielly's show they've had Al Franken's show. The big difference - during my car ride home with Bill I felt informed, during my ride home with Al I feel vaguely informed and mildly entertained. Now that baseball has started, the Al Franken show is cut off about 15 minutes in while is just shy of the time needed to make it home and it's not a smooth transistion. The show is just dropped. ] About the only thing Thom had going for him was his ability to use Google and fact check. But now, there is another - his callers. I'm not talking about the staged callers that every program has, you know the ones: "I'd just like to say, thank god for you!" I'm talking about the informed ones who just want to toss out a question, correct the misinformation and present the truth. A couple of weeks ago on his program, he was spouting off about Rush flipping out on a caller. Blah, blah. Rush had seemingly gone off the deep end about the questions the caller was asking, demanded the guys real name, threatening to expose him, and ultimately disconnecting the call. Thom made a crack about Rush's prescription drug problem and then pretty much left it at that. An informed caller got through to Thom and said that Rush was referring to the guy who runs a website called Calling All Wingnuts. Calling All Wingnuts is a site where Mike Stark, the author and caller, calls up "right-wing" talk show hosts and asks the questions that people want asked and questions the lies that are being shoveled down our throats, records the whole thing and posts the call. Another lovely thing featured on his site is the Wingnut Directory that lists the shows and their call in lines. One of the main reasons I listen to talk radio is for the callers and this site brings it all together. I've tried to call in but either can't wait because I'm on hold for too long or because since the show is syndicated I've missed the actual live broadcast. Thanks Mike for your service and thanks caller who brought it to light.

No comments: