Monday, June 12, 2006

Vote Forgey, again! Greenfield Mayor 2006

Thanks for being a good sport, Chris.  You'd have my vote.Main Street, Greenfield, Massachusetts Tomorrow is the big day in Greenfield! June 13th is the day when Greenfield either keeps the incumbent Christine Forgey or replaces her with Dalton Athey. As a previous 12+ year resident of Greenfield, I'd have to say I'd be at the polls tomorrow voting for Christine Forgey. Why? She's done a lot of good in her position but that matters little to me. The reason I think she deserves another term is for how she handled that whole flooding situation. I'll quote the handout I obtained from her campaign head quarters, "The Mayor took on big government when the Governor and FEMA took no action following the devastating floods of 2005." That may have been a little understated. I couldn't find the quote I wanted to use from her when she stated there was life west of Worchester or something to that effect but the Mayor was definately on the offensive with Oven Mitt, "'The governor did not drop the phone and do what I wanted him to do, but I'm certain I made an impression,' Forgey said." I couldn't find a quotable dollar amount or average amount of the funds she was able to negotiate but it was something. Oven Mitt was too busy to care right away; “the flooding was not severe enough to warrant his early return from North Carolina on Monday, where he was attending fundraisers for an organization there.” The hand out I received was pretty informative. In her closing (or opening, depends how you open it I suppose) letter she states, "we need to have safe and clean streets." The first and easiest step for the cleaning would be to close Cafe Koko. I've only seen the grungiest, dirtiest looking people sprawled out on the sidewalk in front of that place. I don't know how to make them safer but just close down Koko. I'm pretty sure that the drums the dudes in dreads play could easily be used as weapons.
Vote for Christine Forgey! Greenfield's once and future Mayor!
[ I took the above picture around 4pm. She's pretty nice and let a dunce like me snap a picture. I threw back a thumbs up and yelled, "Good luck! Keep up the good work!" I think she is a natural smiler. Around 6pm, when I happened to be heading home, the Athey people were out. Actually, I only noticed four but they each had a stick with two or three VOTE FOR ATHEY signs. Is that cheating? Nevertheless, now that I've reviewed his picture again, I think a person I figured was a homeless man who was asked to hold a sign might really have been Dalton himself. I can't say for sure and didn't take his picture but I think it might have been. If it was, cut your hair, mop top! ]

No comments: