Wednesday, January 11, 2006

...eggnog: a year in review.

1st: Hood Golden Egg nog. Hood Golden Eggnog tops my list. It is the best all around for my money. Lets face it, egg nog is expensive! If I'm going to dish out the dough, its going to be for the good stuff.

2nd: Hood Light Egg nog. This is not a Diet Coke vs Coke Classic situation. Hood Light Egg nog not only tastes just like the Golden but contains 50% less fat! I wish I had tried this stuff sooner - in all honestly, I only picked this up because it was the last run batch of the season, was on sale and included a $1.00 off coupon. Hard to pass up a bargain!

3rd: Oakhurst brand. This was the first egg nog of the season that I bought. Wal-Mart in New Hampshire carries this brand. Its not bad. Not bad at all. It's a little cheaper than Hood, so that could be a deciding factor for some people.

4th: Stop & Shop Store store brand. This is the only store brand I sampled before the season ended. Next year I will try others. I would have tried the Big Y brand also but its package was styled more like the Garelick Farms brand. No thanks. I tried the one that looked more like Hood. Its a store brand and didn't expect much. Its not all that bad but come on. They charge just about the same as Hood and it no where near tastes like it. If its on sale, a really good sale I might consider the possibility of purchase. Maybe not.

5th: Garelick Farms brand. NO THANK YOU! I drank most of this one quart carton and threw the rest out. After the first mug of this I had a flash back to my youth. This was the kind of cheap egg nog my parents would by. I was traumatized by cheap egg nog and for years I wouldn't touched the stuff. You have to have a taste for this brand. If you savor each sip in your mouth for a moment your tastebuds can sort though the flavor. Again, NO THANK YOU. I won't be buying this brand again.

That's it for this season, Hood won - hands down!

Next season, I'm going to buy Hood for all our parties and for our personal consumption. I want to try both hard and sans booze nogs including the Big Y store brand, more local and commercial brands - I saw a Southern Comfort brand. So many different flavors for such a simple brew of milk, cream, eggs and some spices. Maybe I'll make my own, too. Alton Brown did an episode for Egg Nog and at the Great Big Food Show I picked up his Chef card with another of his Egg Nog recipes on it. I can't wait!

See you next season!

No comments: