Thursday, January 26, 2006

Feeding the birds with my son - 01/21/2006

It was totally impromptu but turned out to be one of my favorite days I've spent with my son. We had just driven to Greenfield to pick up some fast food for lunch and were on our way back home when we noticed a lot of birds flying around the fish ladder. There was a man and (presumably) his sons feeding the ducks corn and stale bread. Well, I should say attempting to feed the ducks. There were seagulls circling the area and if a duck wasn't fast enough getting to the bread, the gulls would drive and steal it away. (The picture isn't that good because those buggers move so quickly!) He loved watching the gulls do that! "Dad, did you see that?!" he would exclaim, each time like it was a totally new and unique experience. The man left with the kids when we made our way over to the birds. He left the rest of their bread, so my son and I continued where they left off. We were there a good two hours feeding and watching those birds. When we ran out of the bread, we skipped some rocks. The seagulls, thinking we were still throwing bread, drove after the rocks a few times. Afterwards it was finally time to return home and he fell asleep on the way. There are more pictures of the bird watching here.

No comments: