Friday, March 03, 2006

Putt-Putt?

What the hell is a Putt-Putt? He’s my mother’s stepfather. My grandmother and natural grandfather had divorced – before I was born, I believe. He then passed away in 1984 when I was really young. I’m unsure why I never called my grandmother’s husband “grandpa.” I do have some memories of my real grandfather, so that could be part of it. From what I’ve been told, over and over and over again, I was the one who gave the man the name of Putt-Putt. Apparently, one day - before I can remember - while my grandmother was watching me or we were visiting, my grandmother scolded him for "putting" around the house. By "putting" I believe she meant going slow not playing golf. I picked up on the word and started saying “Putt, putt, putt, putt, putt.” Let this be a lesson to you, becareful of what you say infront of little children! We're impressionable! For nineteen or so years he was Putt-Putt but he’s now Great Putt-Putt as my brother and I have had children of our own.

No comments: