Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Moment in Science: CD vs Microwave

The background When I was working as an apprentice printer tech a few years ago, I learned about this. During a service call, one of the office workers came over to my boss with something in his hand. It was a CD-R that looked all broken up. "Whoa.. what happened to that?" I asked. "This is what happens when you nuke a CD." The guy handed it to me. It was one of the coolest thing I had ever seen! You can probably guess what I did after work! It was amazing! Why hadn't I thought of doing that? Who HAD thought of it first? I still wonder about that. With 10 million search results, I'm not sure I'll ever know for sure. The popularity of this trick was fueled, I think, by AOL and all those free CDs they'd send to people. The hypothesis A CD in the microwave will be awesome. The materials A supply of CDs A microwave The procedure Put the CD in the microwave. For the most artistic burn, give it at most 2 seconds. The results

Don't over cook.

Free internets, not that pretty.

Recorderable CDs of questionable content, now 'dem be purty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sending my best friend this last article (blog?)

She loves those AOL CD'S. She usually makes weird things w/them. Covers the desk or walls with them. I think it would be cooler if she "Nuked" them first.