Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Above the law

Greenfield, Massachusetts I almost thought better of it and not post this story but the truth must be told and I'm sick of hypocrites in the government! Some smug little metermaids are out there handing out tickets to driver's whose meters have run out and all the while they're parked at an expired meter! I only have proof of this happening twice - today and yesterday - but I'm sure it had to have happened many times before.

The parking meters take quarters and run, I believe, twenty-five cents per hour. I first called the number on the car to inquire on the cost of a ticket and comment on how appalled I was but the number, 413-773-5411, is the police station's. Hey, I've seen Unlawful Entry - I know not to piss those people off. So, instead, I called the Town Hall (413-772-1568) to confirm the price of a parking ticket and the pleasant voice who answered the phone told me parking tickets were $5.00 a pop. I'll give the Parking Enforment Officer the benefit of the doubt and submit that they've only ripped the City of Greenfield off by $10.50 - $5.00 per ticket that could have be issued and 25-cents for both days the meter was expired!

These pictures are from yesterday in front of the Second Congregational Chruch on Court Square in Greenfield. Behind the church is a police parking lot which I should have driven to and checked if there were any open spots.

Now, if I lived in Greenfield, I'd either be at the coming mayoral debate or be submitting a question (letters@recorder.com) for the debate that would demand a resolution to this!

I'm sure some of you will disagree with me. You'll say police officers shouldn't have to pay for parking. I'll ask you why? And if they shouldn't, why should they park at a metered spot that is taking money from the town/city? Comments are open, have at it. That's the metermaid.

No comments: