Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Da Vinci Code Review

My wife and I just got back from the 7:30pm showing of The Da Vinci Code. We went to the Cinemark theater at the Hampshire mall to watch the movie, I'm glad we got there when we did because the admission line was already to the doors and steadily grew as we picked up the tickets bought online. I enjoyed the movie; I think it might actually be worth watching again [once it's released on DVD]. There were a few times the movie seemed the drag and then there were times it seemed a little forced but it was very entertaining for me, as someone who has not read the book. The movie stars Tom Hanks (Robert Langdon; a scholar of religious symbols) and Audrey Tautou (Sophie Neveu; a cryptologist and museum curator's granddaughter). While promoting his latest book, Robert is asked to help with a murder of a friend - the museum curator. Before he died, he was left clues for Robert and Sophie to unravel who killed him and why. The puzzles are pieced together, clues found through Da Vinci's worked are put together and eventually they seek out histories greatest treasure, the Holy Grail itself. In a nutshell, the premise of the story is that the Grail is not a chalice but the child fathered by Jesus with Mary Magdalene. They have a scene that goes in-depth on that theory; I found that to be pretty interesting. Over the ages there has been a secret society protecting the identity of the descendants of Jesus because if the Christ were deemed to be mortal and not the son of God, the church would be ruined. To prevent the secret from surfacing the Christian Church, or at least a secret council of it, would kill and has killed. I don't want to give much away, watch the movie. When the movie finished, I heard many of my fellow movie go-ers announce that the book was better. Of course the book was better, jackass. Most books are. With a book, it's your vision or interpretation of the words; with a movie, it's the director's. If the two don't match, you'll be in the situation I was in tonight and have to listen to a bunch of 15 year old girls complain that the movie was not as good as the book. Bottom line: I liked the movie. I laughed a few times and was on the edge of my seat a few times, also. I left the theater satisfied and that's all you can really ask from a movie.