Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In memory of Erma B. Wright

It was one year ago today that my Great Grandmother passed away. I drove out to Leyden after work today and paid my respects. Her service was held on the 26th last year, the skies were gray and there was a misty rain falling. I was a pallbearer at her funeral. I had never been a pallbearer before and haven't since, luckily no one close to me has passed away. It was a surreal experience, I was there yet oddly removed. The fond stories told at her funeral revealed to me how little I knew of her. She led a full life and passed away at 88 years of age. Mrs. Wright taught and also drove school bus at the Roberts School in Shelburne for many years. Early in life, she worked at the family paint store, the James Black Paint Store on Bank Row in Greenfield. She was also a model at the former Rosen’s Store in Greenfield. But I didn't know her as anything other than my Great Grandmother and I loved her. I remember in the winter when my mother would bring my brother and I to her house to slide in the cow pasture behind her house, in the summer watching humming birds fly near her flowers, putting horse chestnuts in the vice in her garage, and playing with all the magnets on her refridgerator. One of my fondest memories, though, is when she first held my son, her great great grandson, in her arms. As I lead her to her final resting place, the downpour of rain came and hid the tears. Today in the Recorder was a poem written by my Grandmother, her daughter, in rememberance of the one year anniversary of her passing. Here is that poem.
Our lives go on without you
But nothing is the same
We have to hide our heartache
When someone speaks your name
Sad are the hearts that love you
Silent the tears that fall
Living our lives without you
Is the hardest part of all
The special years will not return
When we were all together
But with the love within our hearts
You will walk with us forever
Forever loved
We love you and miss you,
Your loving family
Peg

No comments: